As many of you know, Vinny and I ended up in this town out of desperation. Not to be blasphemous, but the weeks before the move I kept telling everyone I felt a little like Mary...very pregnant with nowhere to sleep. But apparently this town is one step before the stable.
In one month we will have been here for two years, two whole years in a place we never wanted to be. In all honesty, the hardest part about living here has been that we thought it would be temporary. We just needed to have little P and then we could move on. But one thing after another keeps us here.
While I was on bed rest with P, Vinny was offered a good job...here. In July it will be two years since he started the job...here. He has already been promoted 4 times...here. He has earned a great reputation and seems to have a very promising future...here. But sadly, the most difficult place I have ever lived is...here.
At first I fought being here, and then I accepted it like a jail sentence. Then I tried to embrace it. And now, where am I now? I suppose that now I am just going to be...here. These two years have taught me that friends are nice, but unnecessary. That game night with my kids can be as much fun as a water park. That my husband truly believes in pressing forward. That things will go easier if I would stop stressing and surrender to His time line. Patience, I suppose.
So tonight, while I attempted to give myself another pep talk about the future, I realized that I have nearly wished away two years. Two years! Two years with my baby, two years with my preteens, two years with my dinosaur digger. And I remembered some wonderful things that have happened lately...here.
I watched a little boy learn about plumbing from his dad.
I gave a bath to a boy who refused to remove his shades.
I found a picture of a picture (drawn and also taken) by a boy who "hearts" his mom.
I found a note left just for me by a grateful daughter.
And I decided to try even harder to just be...here.

15 comments:
You always make me tear up Megan! I'm sorry you're having a hard time there, my friend is moving there next month and it is a death sentence to her too. I do like your positive outlook...hang in there!
that's awesome.
hey, there are worse places to be...you've got a great rollerblading spot by the river. except there's one bench that i sat on there one time and it had sap all over it and ruined by most favorite pair of shorts. so watch out for that.
That is pretty much how I felt about TX, and we ended up there for 12 years. So how about we just hope you don't have to wait that long to get where you really want to be??? I'll cross my fingers and hope with you! Glad you found some good moments to keep in your mind!
I'm sorry you're having such a hard time here. I know the weather is awful, but hopefully we're getting past that. I'm sure that's not the only reason you don't enjoy the area. I need to be a little more social and we could get our kids together or something.
The here and now is so easy to miss sometimes! I'm glad you are catching it and taking it all in. Your kids sure do love you...it makes me excited to be a mom if you get love notes like that all the time!
When we moved to Mexico, I did NOT want to live there, but I decided I was going to make the most of it while I was there. I learned a lot in that year, though I'm not going to lie, I danced a jig when we moved.
I learned that if I couldn't be happy in Mexico, I couldn't be happy anywhere. Bloom where you are planted.
Great job at staying positive. You are an amazing mother and wife. And friend/cousin in law, too, even if I have yet to see you in person (Grandma Best's bday doesn't count cause I didn't know how awesome you were then).
Keep on enjoying that sweet family of yours. This comment is a book, I know. Love ya!
ooohhh BUSTED! Friends ARE necessary!! They can lift you up and help with kids, make you laugh and share their life story which may be worse then yours!!! How about we trade you come to TX and we will move to IF....seriously any place has got to be better than here... ;)
I can't believe it's already been almost two years since we all crowded in that one house! My memories with you are my favorite ones THERE and I love you. I'm sorry things are wearing you down, just know that we still have high hopes for you guys leaving and will continue to pray for it :)
Those are some great things that have happened there! Loved reading that!
I love the picture of "P" with sunglasses on in the tub. For some reason it reminded me of the song "I wear my sunglasses at night..."
Sounds like were both destined to stay here...
You guys will probably get out before I do (just be happy you're not tied down to a house). I don't think I would mind living here forever if my husband could live here too...
I never commented on this post... but I love it. You really inspire me- it's so easy to always be looking toward the next thing... practically wishing away the present as I'm lost in my hopes for the future... and then I blink and all this time has gone by and I could have been living more, enjoying more, etc. etc. and then I have regret. Anyway-- you're right, no matter where you are physically on a map, or mentally or financially, or whatever, there is so much to be enjoying here and now. Reminds me of ... was it Elder Wirthlin a few conferences ago with the talk, "Come what may and love it." ? Anyway.... yes. Come what may, and love it.
Meg. Love your honesty and humor. I feel your weather pain girl. Who settles in the tundra anyway???
I'm proud of you Megan. You can do it. You will either learn to love it there or one day move on. I feel the same way all the time living with my parents but I decided the same thing I can't just sit around for two years waiting for it to end. I love you and hope you can be happier. Miss you like crazy. I can't believe how big your boy is.
I miss you... and your blogging.
♥ ♥ ♥
you're moving to the bottom of my list girly! hurry and post something....i need a good laugh :)
Post a Comment