Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Feeling Beautiful


Today is class picture day at K's school, and apparently last year we did an awful job of dressing her (even though, if memory serves, it was K who demanded to wear the now hated green and white shirt). But I am a mom, so I take the blame and try to do better this year.

Once the clothes were chosen (again, not by me...and this time I will make her sign a legal document saying so) it was down to the dreaded hair question. Little K has a very tender head. If I say the words, "brush, comb, tangle" I'd better be ready for a fight. If I say the word "braid" I better be ready to never see my daughter again. So imagine my surprise when little K asked me to braid her hair in THREE French braids last night. Gah!

We made it half way through 1 before she was sobbing, screaming, and threatening my life.

With braids out of the question, little K took the next half hour to wallow in self-pity over the horror that is her hair. I mean who would like thick, blonde, naturally wavy hair anyway? I mean, besides me, the lady with thin, darkening, straight as a board hair. So her cries fell on deaf ears.

Until, that is, she stopped being hysterical and started telling me how she felt. And then I remembered being 10. I was 10 when Jeff Plumb drew me a picture of a dragon asking me if I would "go out with him." He slipped it to me during library time. I checked "yes" and didn't speak to him again until summer.

And somewhere amidst the sobbing and over-reacting of last night, I realized what my little K was feeling. And instead of rolling my eyes and brushing her off, we got out the scissors and cut the bangs she has been begging me for since last week. And I showed her how to style them, loaned her my special earrings, and let her wear lip gloss.

And she left for school feeling beautiful.

13 comments:

Lorren Says... said...

Aw, what a good momma you are! She is precious!

Jason and Jen said...

I'm tearing up...seriously! That is so sweet of you to lend her your earrings and give her lipgloss. I need to remember what its like to be a kid more often! Thanks for the reminder!

JenChiz said...

You just entered the realm of the cool mom. Impressive!

Lizi Bates said...

K you are beautiful!

Smullin Family said...

What a sweet mom you are. I too often do the "brush off". --It does help that the fit stopped and the feeling sharing began. :)

K looks so cute. Love the bangs!

MBusse said...

Looks great, Kal! I love the bangs. :-)

I still harbor stress over my 6th grade picture. I had just over chicken pox and didn't know it was picture day. I'm immortalized that year wearing a "Duck Race" t-shirt and flat hair. Picture day is a big deal.

Anonymous said...

YAY for good mommy moment!! K is 10?!? Seriously...

dustin and amy said...

That deffinately earns you a mother of the year award! She's lucky to have you!

Kellie said...

First off, you should definitely publish something, I love reading your posts, funny and touching all at the same time. You truly have a gift. And big kudos to you for such tender actions as a Mom! Great example and super reminder.

Hey, surprise, surprise, I'm coming back to the States next week! I'll have to give you details later. Hope to see you some time this year :)

Shayla said...

Kal IS beautiful and you have the most sweetness ever under all that humor! I knew this of course, I just love how much this shows it.
I love you and I loved talking to my sweet niece while she was watching little pink eye P today :) She is so cute and so ME when I was 10 {good luck}

Sara Melling said...

I love success stories! Currently Sadie eats my chapsticks so naturally I bought her a 10pk for christmas, flavored of course, and she still eats mine...I will definitely write this in my "to do when 10" notebook.:)

Elise said...

What a great story! In my opinion, looking beautiful is 90% how you feel about yourself... and 10% clothes/hair/and everything else: ) Of all the things you wear, a smile is the most important!

britta said...

Your family rocks. I can't ever get over how big they're all getting!!!!