So I have this whiny little sister. Today, she complained that I don't post often enough (see comments on previous post). I'm not even going to bring up the fact that she rarely posts, because I have a better idea. This post is going to be all about Britta.
The day Britta was born, the rest of us were being babysat. We were playing in a field when one of the kids came running up to me yelling, "Your dad called! You have a new sister!"
Britta had lots of black hair...which I remember thinking was odd since the other four kids basically looked like albinos.
As a toddler, Britta had really chapped cheeks, so we'd cover them with Vaseline. She was always slimy.
She also liked to chew on her hair and her clothes, so until she was about 4 she was a stinky little thing.
I used to sing her to sleep at night. Mostly the song "Lavender Blue."
One Christmas eve, we had eaten chili, egg nog, and ice cream. I was sharing a bed with Britta. Instead of waking to Santa, I woke to Britta throwing up in the bed (which was a water bed, so it all ran toward the sides). I was mad, until I did the same thing about one hour later. Merry Christmas!
We have a picture of Britta asleep next to the toilet with her undies around her ankles. Yep, she fell asleep peeing.
Britta raised goats and gave them fantastic names...like Paprika.
She was the youngest of five, so she always had a big vocabulary. Everyone thought it was so funny to see a 4 year old speaking like a teenager.
As a teenager I had this cute little blond girl who wanted to follow me everywhere. I never let her, and that is one of my greatest regrets ever.
Britta played Cinderella in her high school play. She was so believable, my daughter thought she was the real thing.
The week I got divorced, I moved into my parent's basement. The week before this, Britta's boyfriend had hung hearts all over her bedroom. She took them all down before I got there so I would not be sad. I don't think she knows that I knew this. Mom's a talker.
Britta married her high school sweetheart, after they both served missions. She went to Canada, French speaking. Parlez Vous?
Britta and I share some favorite things: Twilight, The Weepies, Muppet Treasure Island, blogging, our other sister Leigh-Anne, an addiction t sugar wafers, Swiss Rolls, and fruit snacks, cute baby boys, great husbands (well, we don't share these...we just have them in common). and hair loss.
Britta moved across the country in June, but she is coming back for a visit this week!!! I am so excited for her to see me on Wednesday...it's gonna be great! I love you Brit!
9 years ago

4 comments:
You've made me cry! I LOVE YOU Mamma Corleone! I CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE YOU! Of course other than changing Mel's diaper, checking your blog is the first thing I've done this morning... :) I am so excited... it's like Christmas already... I couldn't sleep last night I am so excited to see you and your little squirts. :) Wahoo! Thank you for your post. :) !!!!
I have a confession - related to the both of you, I suppose.
Sometimes, at work, I keep Mama C's blog up just for the soundtrack. I think the two of you may be making a Weepies convert out of me.
Nice! I wish my sister would do a whole blog about me. Although it would be really impressive and make everyone feel bad that read it so I guess it is best she doesn't. Love the background.
I loved reading this! You're a great older sister!
I had to laugh because I remember being a teenager with you and wishing your cute little sister would hang around us more. (I always wanted a little sister.)
I saw the link to her blog and couldn't resist taking a look. I can't believe how grown up she is. I guess she was still that cute little girl in my mind.
Post a Comment