Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Practice

Karina recently joined a swim team which practices four days a week. Bugsy also has swimming two days a week. So this is our new little routine. We pack a bag for Bugsy and watch Karina, then just as her practice is ending we head down and get Bugsy ready for his.
Notice the lightsaber....an essential item for swim practice. Paulie usually sleeps through swimming, which has been kind of nice for Bugsy and me. We get to spend some time just hanging out together.

As many of you know, it has been a real struggle for me to accept that I won't have any more children. I think that it has been hard for me mostly because I am not choosing to be finished, I just have to be. I know there are a few people who read this blog who have been unable to have any children or who have struggled far more than I have, and I don't want to sound insensitive. But...I think you can all understand that sometimes it takes a little time to get a grip when your ideas for life change a bit.

Swimming (and Bugsy's basketball) has been great for me. It has been fun to change what I do for/with my children each day. I have been able to focus on the fact that they are getting older--and that is just as wonderful as having them little--because there are still new things to watch them learn when they are older too. I know this is an obvious fact, but I think that I have always pictured myself as the mother of young children, not children who will eventually get older. It's all about focus I guess. So now, even though Paulie is not even one year old yet, I am not only enjoying watching him learn to sit and eat solids, I am excited for when he too will go to practice.

4 comments:

Audrey said...

I didn't realize you couldn't have anymore children (since I'm a fairly new reader). That is tough to have the decision taken away from you. You sound like you have a great perspective though.

Misty said...

so insightful! I know what you mean about coping with the "babyless" era of life. I think it hits every woman at one point in our lives. letting your dreams of more"babies" go is defiantly a hard thing to come to grips with. hang in there... and know i am thinking of you. the heartache is real but it will ease with time and like you said... there are many more firsts to come!

Lorren Says... said...

It IS hard to see those babies grow up. But they'll always be your baby, no matter how old they are. :)

britta said...

I just don't know what to say. IIII want you to have more kids... the world is already running out of true blondes... plus, what about my other kids? I want them to have more gangster cousins! But.... that is selfish. I AM totally proud of you. You really do have a big family- and this next stage of having kids- not just babies- IS awesome. You are my hero. SUCH a great mother.
but whew! you are busy!!! :)